Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bruised pride and sore muscles

Many times throughout our marriage I have stood in full support of my wife and her desire to run in races. I stood cheering at the finish line, Pepsi in hand while she ran two half marathons, a relay full marathon, and various other races.


I felt a great sense of accomplishment knowing that I managed the kids all by myself with only minor amounts of bribing with sugar substances and toys.



This weekend I entered a new phase of running support (and no I don't mean size of jock straps). A local organization called Active Reentry sponsored a 5k race. All proceeds went to helping those with disabilities acquire the tools they need to succeed in independence. So I reluctantly agreed to run (and I use the word run sparingly) in the race. The race was called the run/walk/and roll so I felt safe in entering.


The first three steps of the race went well for me, then suddenly Cru (age 5) easily separated himself and gained a nice lead. Luckily the fact that Cru had to take 3-4 steps to every one of mine came into play and I caught up.




Unfortunately at about the 1/2 way point the two ladies in motorized wheelchairs caught up and passed me. I smiled and waved, but deep down my competitive spirit burned with hatred and I wished to slash their tires and rip the little orange flag to the ground!

In the end I controlled my bruised pride, and we finished the race as a family at about 55 minutes. I only had to take one Ibuprofen and suffered two minor cramps, one to my left butt cheek, and one to my right hammy......Next year those two motorized wheelchairs are going down!!!! Or maybe I will go back to the Pepsi and finish line support.

DIMMER SWITCH

2 comments:

sacfrog said...

Have to watch those wheelchair
people. they make the two legged
ones look bad on occasion.

Have fun. Grandma Nita & b

Liz said...

This is so cool! What a great family. It is so refreshing to see families playing together. Love it! Thanks for sharing.. Liz